day-old light rye bread, cubed
day-old dark rye bread, cubed
sage flavored sausage, Jimmy Dean brand recommended
1 1/2 cups
cooking apples, peeled and chopped
garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup
salted mixed nuts, chopped
dried parsley flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons
dried rosemary, crushed
3 -3 1/2 cups
- Toss bread cubes in a large bowl.
- In a skillet, cook and crumble sausage just until cooked thru.
- Remove to paper towels to drain.
- To same skillet, add onion, apples, celery, garlic and butter.
- Saute until apples and vegetables are tender.
- Add both the onion mixture and sausage to bread.
- Add nuts (if desired), seasonings and enough broth to moisten.
- Cover and refrigerate til ready to bake.
- Stuff turkey just before baking.
- Bake any additional stuffing separately in a greased 2 quart casserole dish.
- Or bake all stuffing separately in a greased 13x9x2 baking dish.
- To bake stuffing separately, place in greased dish, cover and bake at 325 degrees for one hour; uncover and bake for 10 minutes longer.