5 -6 lbs
chicken, cut into 8 pieces
carrots, peeled and sliced
celery, scrubbed and sliced
yellow onions, peeled and quartered
parsnip, peeled and sliced
salt and pepper
- Wash and skin chicken, and place in large soup pot.
- Cover with water and simmer in covered pot for two hours, skimming foam from top of pot.
- Remove and reserve chicken.
- Add vegetables, simmer for another hour.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Some people like to remove the vegetables and strain the soup, but I like to leave them in.
- Chill overnight and scrape fat from surface.
- Reheat and add reserved shredded chicken.
- Serve with noodles or matzoh balls.