onion, peeled and very finely chopped
salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6.
- Score the belly of pork well and rub with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and place on a board, fat-side down.
- Mix the onion, breadcrumbs, sage and cheese together, adding a little hot water to help it bind.
- Spread the cheese mixture over the pork and roll up to enclose the filling. Tie with kitchen string to secure the roll.
- Place in a roasting tin join side up and place in the centre of the oven and roast for 30 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 170°C/Gas 3 and continue roasting for a further 1½ - 2 hours until the pork is meltingly soft. Remove the string and carve into thick slices to serve.