1 (15 ounce) cans
black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (4 ounce) cans
diced green chilies
garlic clove, peeled
fresh cilantro, shredded
( or use 1 tsp dried)
( I use the frozen kind, thawed out)
unsweetened desiccated coconut
( or 1 whole egg)
( I use whole wheat)
- Rinse and drain the can of beans, or if you prefer to use dried beans, cook 2/3 dry cup of them ahead of time. Rinse and drain the can of chiles. Use 1 whole egg, or separate two eggs, discarding the yolks.
- Put everything on the list into your food processor and chop until you reach the desired consistency-- a total puree, or a rougher chop that still has some whole pieces of beans in there.
- Scoop the mixture into a bowl and refridgerate for 20-30 minutes, it's okay if it stays in longer.
- Form patties with your hands, you'll get 4 large ones or 6 smaller ones (which I prefer because I eat them on English muffins.).
- Heat some olive oil on a frying pan, adding more as needed (mine tends to evaporate after a few minutes) to cook each patty for about 6-7 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Serve on your favorite buns/breads with the fixings you like. Salsa and mango chutney are good with these. Even better, mango chutney with pepperjack cheese on a nice multigrain bun!