( for coating forks)
- Blanching Almonds:.
- Cover with boiling water, let stand 1 minute, drain & rinse with cold water, pop nuts out of skin.
- Spread almonds in a single layer & let dry overnight.
- Candying Almonds:.
- Warm nuts for a couple minutes in oven at 250F, do not toast them (this step is just to take any chill out of them).
- Heat sugar & water in heavy stainless steel frying pan over med high heat.
- Cook to softball stage, 235 - 240F on candy thermometer.
- Add almonds & stir, lower heat to med low, continue stirring nuts.
- Nuts will be glossy, then the sugar will turn milky & start to crystalize & look sandy.
- Continue cooking & stirring nuts, the nuts will toast, the sugar will melt again & start to caramelize.
- Once the sugar has caramelized, pour nuts onto a parchment lined cookie sheet, pull apart using oiled forks.
- If candy starts to harden, just flatten nuts out as best you can.
- Let cool, then break apart any nuts that were stuck together.
- Store in an airtight container.