2 (28 ounce) cans
san marzano tomatoes
garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups
- In a heavy dutch oven heat olive oil until it shimmers. Add onion and saute on medium heat until transclucent and soft.
- Add garlic, stirring continually for 1 minute.
- When fragrant add broth immediately, scraping up any bits and incorperating well.
- Add tomatoes, pepper,basil, and cayenne to pot. Stir well and cover with lid.
- Bring to boil, then reduce to a simmer and stir frequently. Check for seasoning. (salty/sweet/acid) Adjust.
- Let simmer for at least 30 minutes to break down tomatoes, depending on cut you are using. (diced, stewed, puree, sauce, whole, chopped).
- Use an immersion blender to puree all of the soup, off of the flame.
- Add half-n-half to pureed soup and bring to simmer. Do not boil.
- Serve and enjoy.