sweet onion, diced
1 1/4 lbs
Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans
diced tomatoes, in juice with Italian spices
2 (14 ounce) cans
low sodium chicken broth
2 (15 ounce) cans
cannellini, drained and rinsed
( white kidney beans)
1 1/2 cups
chopped fresh basil, divided
dry crushed red pepper
1 cup shell pasta or 1 cup orecchiette or 1 1/2 cups
fresh gemelli pasta
1 (6 ounce) bags
baby spinach leaves
1/3 cup grated pecorino romano cheese or 1/3 cup
grated parmesan cheese
additional grated pecorino romano cheese
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic powder and sauté 6-10 minutes.
- Add sausage and sauté until brown, breaking up large chunks with back of fork, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juice, broth, beans, 1 cup basil, oregano, and dried crushed red pepper.
- Simmer/boil 15 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
- Add dried pasta and cook until tender but still firm to bite, about 15 more minutes.
- Add spinach and cook just until wilted, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes.
- Mix in 1/3 cup cheese and remaining 1/2 cup basil.
- Season ragout with salt and pepper; ladle into bowls. Serve, passing additional cheese separately.