ham shank, on the bone
yellow split peas
onions, finely chopped
- Soak the ham and peas separately overnight.
- Drain and add to large saucepan with onions and enough cold water to cover.
- Simmer gently for 2 hours, ( the peas will become a puree,,,that’s meant to happen).
- Remove the ham and allow to cool.
- Add the egg butter and seasoning to the peas and mix well.
- Pour into a greased pudding bowl.
- Using a steamer or a half filled pan of boiling water with a well-fitting lid, steam for 1 hour.
- Serve warm with slices of cold ham.