( medium sized dessert)
( beaten to glaze)
( to serve)
( to serve)
- Preaheat oven to 350F (160C fan forced, 175C conventional).
- Sift the flour, salt and spices into a large bowl.
- Cut the butter into dice and rub into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs (I would use a food processor on pulse to do this).
- Mix in enought water to produce a smooth pliable dough.
- Divide the dough into six pieces and roll out into a square approximately 8 inches.
- Peel the apples with a sharp knife and carefully remove the centre cores with a apple corer.
- Chop the prunes and the apricots and mix these with the raisins.
- Place oe prepared apple into the centre of each pastry square, and fill the cavities with equal amounts of the dried fruit mixture.
- Brush the edges of each square with a little water and draw them up and around the sides of the apples, sealing them well with a little water and trimming off the excess pastry to give a neat finish.
- Roll out the pastry trimmings =, cut into decorative leaves and stick the leaves onto each apples for decoration.
- Glaze each pastry apple with the beaten egg and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake the apples in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot with the fresh cream and sprigs of fresh mint.