( Red Delicious, Jonathans, Winesaps, McIntosh, etc.)
light corn syrup
red food coloring
- Butter a cookie sheet and set aside.
- Wash and dry apples and bring to room temp.
- Insert a popcicle stick into the stem end of each apple.
- In a heavy saucepan, mix together sugar, water, corn syrup, and food coloring; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cook gently without stirring until mixture reaches 290F on a candy thermometer.
- Stir in clove oil.
- Quickly dip apples into mixture, spinning around to ensure full coverage.
- Set on cookie sheet to cool.
- Pour leftover coating onto buttered baking sheet to harden into candy and break into brittle when cool; if you have lollipop sticks, pour into circles over these.