potatoes, peeled and cut in half
( 4 to 5 potatoes)
onions, halved and peeled
garlic, medium head
2 1/2 tablespoons butter or 2 1/2 tablespoons
low-sodium vegetable broth
1 1/2 tablespoons
( or half-and-half or soy milk)
- Preheat oven to 400°F Place potatoes in large bowl. Snip root end off each onion and cut each half into 3 sections. Add onions to potatoes, breaking up onions with your fingers to separate.
- Drizzle vegetables with oil, add thyme and toss well. Spread vegetables on baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice top third off head of garlic and place it on a piece of foil. Put 1/2 tablespoon butter on top of garlic and drizzle 2 teaspoons water onto foil. Fold sides of foil to enclose; place on pan with vegetables.
- Roast vegetables 45 minutes, then remove garlic. Continue roasting vegetables until tender, about 15 minutes more.
- In large saucepan, bring broth to a simmer over medium-low heat. Transfer half the roasted vegetables to food processor and add 1/2 cup hot broth. Process mixture until fairly smooth, then transfer to bowl. Repeat with remaining vegetables and a little more hot broth, squeezing garlic pulp out of husks into last batch. Stir all pureed mixture into broth in pan; keep pan over low heat.
- In small saucepan, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in milk and cook, stirring often, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in ladleful of soup and cook 1 minute.
- Add mixture back to soup. Cook over medium-low heat until heated through, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Serve right away, or cool, refrigerate and reheat when needed.