flank steak, partially frozen
dried hot peppers, to taste
onion, cut in 1/2 inch squares
sliced water chestnuts
minced green onion
- *THEORANGE: With vegetable peeler,cut zest from orange into long pieces.
- Cut pieces into thin strips.
- Dry slightly in microwave oven.
- Slice the orange for garnish.
- Steak should be frozen, but still pliable for easier slicing, slice in strips across the grain.
- Coat the meat completely with cornstarch and set aside.
- Combine dried orange peel in a small dish with hot pepper.
- Cut onion and combine in another small dish with water chestnuts.
- Mince garlic and green onion.
- SAUCE: Combine rice wine, sugar, soy sauce, chicken broth, and oyster sauce in a small bowl.
- Put a metal strainer over a large saucepan in kitchen sink.
- Heat wok for two minutes over highest heat.
- Add oil and heat until it is very hot.
- Add beef, stir to break it up.
- Fry for 2 to 3 minutes, til the outside is crispy.
- Transfer to strainer in sink and pour oil and beef into it.
- Place empty wok back on high heat, add garlic and green onion.
- Add hot pepper and orange peel, Stir briefly.
- Add onion and water chestnuts and stir 30 seconds.
- Add sauce and stir well to coat.
- Let mixture boil until it thickens slightly.
- Add hot beef and then sesame oil.
- Put on serving plate and garnish plate with orange slices.
- Serve with rice.