roma tomatoes, diced
2 1/4 teaspoons
chopped fresh basil
fresh cracked pepper
Italian bread, cut about 1 inch thick
grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Whisk together chopped garlic, vinegar, salt, pepper, and basil.
- When combined slowly drizzle in oil.
- Add tomatoes and let sit for 20 minutes at room temp.
- Meanwhile back at the bat cave, toast the bread.
- This can be done either in the toaster (if it's got really wide slots) or under the broiler (if using this method watch closely so it doesn't become a brickette).
- When the bread is toasted rub each piece, on one side, with the whole garlic pieces.
- Place the bread on a cookie sheet and top with tomato mixture.
- Sprinkle on a little cheese and broil till the cheese melts (you can skip that last broiling bit and it's equally as wonderful).
- Serve immediately.
- The tomato mixture also makes a wonderful vinegrette for an antipasto salad.