onion, cut into medium dice
carrots, cut into medium dice
mushrooms, stems removed, wiped clean, and sliced thin
( domestic or wild)
( or 1 1/2 t. minced fresh thyme leaves)
chopped canned tomato
( home-made or best-quality purchased)
shredded cooked beef
dried egg noodles, broken into 2-inch pieces
minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
ground black pepper
- Heat oil over med-high heat in a soup kettle or Dutch oven.
- Add in onion and carrots; saute until almost soft, 3-4 minutes.
- Add in mushrooms; saute until softened and the liquid almost evaporates, 4-5 minutes.
- Add in thyme and tomatoes, then beef broth and meat; bring to a simmer.
- Decrease heat to low; simmer until vegetables are no longer crunchy and the flavors have blended, about 15 minutes.
- Add in noodles; simmer until fully cooked, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, adjust seasonings, adding salt and pepper to taste; serve immediately.