1 1/2 cups
unbleached white flour
1 1/2 teaspoons
unsalted butter, cut in 1/4-inch cubes and chilled in freezer
sweet potato, cooked and mashed*
( or buttermilk)
light brown sugar
( or agave nectar)
- Preheat oven to 425Ëš.
- Sift dry ingredients together into food processor. Pulse to blend. Add cold butter and pulse several times, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Turn mixture out into mixing bowl.
- Combine sweet potato, yogurt and sugar or agave nectar in processor and run for several seconds to blend thoroughly.
- Add sweet potato mixture to flour mixture and stir together briefly, just until all flour is incorporated and dough forms a ball. (Mixture may be sticky.) Do not overwork the dough.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a cookie scoop—either ½ or ¼ cup capacity—scoop uniform mounds onto sheets. You can get 5 large or 10 small biscuits onto each cookie sheet.
- Bake until biscuits are set and just start to brown: about 20 minutes for large and 15 minutes for the small size.
- These are best served hot (with butter if desired). They can be reheated on a baking sheet for 5 minutes at 400Ëš: good as new.
- * Use 2 small-to-medium sweet potatoes baked whole for 1 hour at 375Ëš and scooped out. I also made this w/ 1 giant sweet potato (1 1/4 cup): excellent! Very sticky batter, but biscuits were light, moist and nicely peppery.
- Makes about 12 medium or 24 small (bite size) biscuits.