white onion, peeled
cloves garlic, peeled
( I use 2 stock cubes and water)
- Put the pearl barley in a pan with 3 cups cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 45 minutes, checking on it often to make sure it doesn't boil dry.
- Meanwhile, chop the rest of the veggies, including the garlic.
- Drain the pearl barley, rinse and drain again.
- Put the pearl barley, veggies, garlic and chicken stock in a pan, cover and simmer for 30 minutes until all the veggies are softened.
- Blend the soup well until it is of a smooth consistency.
- This makes quite a thick soup- I like to add milk after blending but you could simply increase the amount of stock you use.