butter, room temperature
( 3/4 inch)
1 1/2 cups
- Spread butter over bottom of heavy large baking pan with 1 inch sides.
- Arrange bread sliced in pan.
- In large bowl beat eggs, milk, sugar, syrup, vanilla, and salt to blend.
- Pour mixture over bread.
- Turn bread slices to coat.
- Cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake French bread 10 minutes.
- Turn bread over and continue baking until just golden, about 4 minutes longer.
- Transfer cooked toast to plates and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serve at once with warm maple syrup and chopped, toasted walnuts.