2 1/2 cups
( can use cake flour or All purpose)
2 1/4 teaspoons
unsalted butter, cut into pats
( half and half, light, heavy, or whipping cream)
1 1/2 cups
( 9 to 12 ounces)
coarse white sparkling sugar, for topping
( or demerara sugar)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F Lightly grease (or line with parchment) a baking sheet.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder till thoroughly combined. Add the butter, working it in until the mixture is unevenly crumbly.
- Whisk together the cream , eggs, and vanilla. Set aside 2 tablespoons, and add the rest to the dry ingredients, along with the chocolate chips. Mix to form a moist dough.
- Transfer the sticky dough to a heavily floured rolling mat or other work surface. Gently pat and round it into an 8" circle. Brush the dough with the reserved egg/cream mixture, and sprinkle heavily with coarse sugar.
- Dip a 2" round cutter in flour, and use it to cut out a total of 16 scones; you’ll have to gather the scraps and reshape the dough once. Space the scones evenly on the prepared pan.
- Bake the scones for 20 minutes, until they’re golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and serve warm. If not serving immediately or within a couple of hours, store in an airtight container. To reheat, wrap loosely in aluminum foil, and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for about 10 minutes.