chicken leg quarters, Divided
green bell pepper, Minced
3 (1233.20 g) can
1 (411.06 g) can
chicken broth, if needed for thinning
- Liberally sprinkle chicken with creole seasoning and set aside.
- Place 1 1/4 Cups Flour in zipper-top plastic bag and season well with creole seasoning.
- Add chicken to zipper-top bag and shake well to evenly coat chicken with flour.
- Set chicken aside and let rest for 15 minutes.
- While chicken is resting In large heavy pot heat oil over medium heat until hot (about 15 minutes).
- Slowly add floured chicken and brown on all sides.
- Drain off all but 1/2 cup of oil and drippings.
- In remaining 1/2 cup of oil add 3/4 cup of flour, stirring constantly.
- Cook over medium heat until roux is medium to dark brown.
- Add onions, celery and bell pepper and saute about 5 minutes.
- Slowly add chicken broth, bay leaf, garlic, Worcestershire Sauce and Chicken Broth.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add reserved chicken pieces to pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add creole seasoning as needed and simmer another 10 minutes.
- If stew seems a bit too thick add a little more chicken broth.
- Remove bay leaf and serve over hot steaming rice.