garlic clove, minced
bunch swiss chard
( about three cups chopped)
( I get pre-washed)
1 (14 ounce) cans
( drained & rinsed)
fresh rosemary, minced
roasted red pepper, chopped
( jarred peppers are OK)
green onions, chopped
fresh parsley or
- Wash swiss chard well to remove grit. Strip leaves from the stem and chop both separately.
- In a medium sauce pan, heat olive oil and add quinoa. heat and continue to stir until the quiona develops some color (or if using red quinoa when you smell a nutty browned smell).
- reduce heat add rosemary, onions and garlic and stir well. When the onons and garlic begin to turn translucent, add the vegetable stock and the stems from the swiss chard. (if your chard is small then add about 5 minutes into cooking).
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover tightly.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes and stir in the leaves of the swiss chard and the rinsed chick peas. Re-cover and continue cooking another 5-7 minutes until quiona is tender. (I like mine just a little under-done and chewy).
- Remove from the heat and just before serving, stir in the roasted peppers and black pepper and top with green onion and parsley or cilantro.
- I have purposefully omitted salt from this recipe for dietary concerns. Please feel free to salt to suit your taste.