( about 1 pound)
tart green apples
3 (10 1/2 ounce) cans
chicken broth, double strength
2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans
salt and pepper
parsley, freshly chopped
- Cut butternut squash in half, peel and seed.
- Peel, core and coarsely chop the apples.
- Peel the onion and coarsely chop.
- Combine all these ingredients with the rosemary, marjoram, chicken broth, water, bread, salt and pepper in a heavy saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender until smooth.
- (Do in several batches, not filling the blender more than a quarter full each time).
- Return the soup to the saucepan and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat.
- Just before serving, add the heavy cream.
- Serve hot with a sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley on top.