6 tablespoons grapeseed oil or 6 tablespoons
other neutral oil, plus extra for brushing pan
mixed seeds, such as pumpkin, sunflower and sesame
dark brown sugar
1 1/2 cups
mixed dried fruit, such as raisins, cherries, apricots, papaya, pineapple and cranberries
( at least 3 kinds, cut into small pieces if large)
1 teaspoon ground cardamom or 1 teaspoon
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9-inch-square baking pan with parchment paper or foil, letting a few inches hang over side of pan. Brush with oil. You can also use a 9 x 13 pan but the bars will be longer and flatter.
- Spread oats and seeds on another baking pan and toast in oven just until golden and fragrant, 6 to 8 minutes, shaking the pan once.
- In a saucepan, combine oil, honey, brown sugar, maple syrup and salt. Stir over medium heat until smooth and hot. In a mixing bowl, toss together toasted oats and seeds, dried fruit and cardamom. Pour hot sugar mixture over and stir until well combined.
- While mixture is warm, transfer to prepared pan, pressing into pan evenly with an offset spatula.
- Bake until brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer pan to a rack and let cool completely. Using the overhanging foil or paper, lift out of pan and place on a work surface. Cut into bars, about 1 1/2 inches by 3 inches.