( softened plus extra to grease)
( split and seeds scraped)
( 1 tablespoon finely grated zest and juice of)
( 2x1/2 cups = 220 grams)
( 150 grams)
( finely grated zest and juice of)
( boiling 250ml)
( to dust estimated)
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a 1.5 litre pudding bowl.
- Beat the butter, vanilla seeds, lemon zest and half the sugar together in an electric mixer until thick and pale and add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, until combined.
- Fold in the plain flour, baking powder and salt and then fold in the milk until combined.
- Spread the batter into the pudding basin.
- Mix conrflour with remaining 1/2 cup sugar, then use a sieve to dust over the pudding.
- Combine lemon juice, orange zest and orange juice and boiling water in a jug and then gently pour over the batter by pouring over the back of a large spoon (DO NOT stir mixture).
- Bake the pudding for 50-60 minutes until golden and a skewer inserted into the sponge layer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly, then scoop into bowls, dust with icing sugar and serve with vanilla icecream and or cream.
- NOTE - do not discard deseeded vanilla bean, insert into a jar of sugar and make your own vanilla sugar.