salt and freshly ground black pepper
cubanelle pepper, chopped
garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup dry white wine or 1/4 cup
crushed red pepper flakes
frozen peas and carrots
pimento-stuffed green olives, sliced
roasted red peppers, cut into strips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare chicken wings by cutting off the tips (either toss or use to make broth later); separate wings into two pieces at the joint.
- Season generously with salt, pepper, and oregano; set aside while preparing the other ingredients.
- Heat broth and saffron, over low heat, in a small covered saucepan (this releases the yellow color from the saffron which will color the rice beautifully).
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven, over medium heat, and brown chicken pieces on all sides, about 8 - 10 minutes; remove, cover, and set aside (they may not be cooked through).
- Add onions and peppers to Dutch oven and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic; cook about 1 minute.
- Add wine or beer and scrape bottom of pan to remove the brown bits that have stuck onto the pan's bottom.
- Add bay leaf, red pepper flakes, rice, and broth with saffron; stir to combine.
- Bring mixture almost to a boil, then cover and put in oven (or pour into a pretty oven-safe covered casserole).
- Cook in oven until rice is almost tender, about 25 minutes.
- Nestle chicken pieces into the rice; rinse peas and carrots, green olives, and capers in a large strainer and distribute over chicken and rice.
- Arrange red pepper strips over all, cover, and return to oven until chicken is cooked through and rice is tender, about 10 minutes.