( cut into pieces)
- In a bowl, sift flour, salt, and baking powder cut in shortening until it resembles fine meal.
- Add water, a little at a time, to flour mixture and kneed until liquid is incorporated (water amount will very with different flour type and type of day i.e. if the days is cold and wet you will use less water).
- Form dough into a ball and kneed on a floured surface until dough is smooth and elastic. Divide, and make 12 smaller balls. Cover and let stand at least 30 minutes.
- Roll each ball of dough on a floured surface to make 6 or 7 inch size tortillas.
- Place on a pre-heated griddle or cast iron skillet or a regular skillet and cook till medium golden on both sides.
- Stack between towels or wax paper. Do not use any oil in skillet while cooking the tortillas the skillet needs to be dry. You might need to wipe the skillet from time to time to get rid of any extra flour. You will be tempted to eat one or two because of the delicious smell, it's ok you're supposed to. :-).