1 1/4 cups
dried red lentils
3/4 cup dried apricots, chopped or 3/4 cup
1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala or 2 teaspoons
jamaican jerk seasoning
garlic cloves, minced
eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups
cooked brown rice
pecans, toasted and chopped
red pepper, chopped
fresh mango, chopped
( to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan, bring lentils and 3 cups of water to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer until tender, 10 to 15 minutes, drain and set aside.
- In a skillet, heat oil and cook carrots, apricots, onion, celery, garam masala, and garlic until tender, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, cooked lentils, carrot mixture, brown rice, 2/3 cup of chopped nuts, half the chutney, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Press mixture firmly into a deep dish pie plate; bake, uncovered, 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine remaining chutney, red pepper, mango, and remaining nuts.
- Spoon mixture on top of meatless loaf; bake until heated through (160 degrees F) about another 10 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro; cut into wedges to serve.