lemon balm leaves, tightly packed
( or lemon verbana leaves)
extra virgin olive oil
parmesan cheese, grated
fresh ground black pepper
- Rinse lemon balm well in a bowl of water. Let it soak until needed.
- Grate parmesan if needed.
- Peel garlic. Set up your food processor with the cutting blade or use a blender. Turn the machine on and drop the garlic in while the blade is turning. Turn off when garlic is minced, after about 10 seconds.
- Rinse the lemon balm well and pat dry with towel. Remove leaves and put in food processor or blender. Put walnuts and salt on top of leaves. Process until finely chopped but still a bit rough.
- With the machine going, slowly pour in olive oil.
- Stop the machine and add parmesan cheese. Process briefly to mix. Taste. Add salt and pepper as needed.
- To serve, stir pesto into hot cooked pasta or spread on bread or crackers. Eat warm or at room temperature.
- Refrigerate or freeze any extra.