leaves and flowers of sweet herbs such as lemon verbena, rose geranium, lavender, mint
( or one vanilla bean, split)
lemon, zest of, cut in strips
- Gently bruise the herbs with a mortar to bring out their aromatic oils, then mix them with the sugar and citrus zest.
- Put the herbs and sugar in a jar and cover tightly.
- For the next two weeks, give the sugar a shake or stir every few days to spread the aromatic oils around and to break up any clumps.
- After 2 weeks, the sugar will be infused with the herb's flavor.
- Strain the sugar, discard the herbs and zest (you can reuse the vanilla bean or hard spices), and store, tightly covered in a cool and dry place. Will keep for up to one year.
- Makes a lovely gift in a jar, tied with a ribbon and herb sprig tucked in! Attach a recipe card, et voila!