whole wheat flour
white whole wheat flour
natural cane sugar
unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
old fashioned oats
( zest from one orange ~ but you can use less, to taste)
skim milk buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 375 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add the butter using a two knives or pastry blender. Cut the butter in until it looks like coarse crumbs.
- Add the oats, cranberries, and zest. Mix together until combined.
- Stir in the buttermilk just until the dough comes together.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead four or five times. Pat or roll the dough into a circle that is about 10 inches across (about 1 1/2 inches thick).
- Cut the circle into 8 triangular sections (like slicing a pie or pizza). Transfer the scones to the prepared baking sheet.
- Make the egg wash by mixing the egg and milk together. Brush some over the top of each scone. There will be egg wash left over (we always use this to start a batch of scrambled eggs -- ).
- Bake for about 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.