1 1/2 cups
cooked chicken, diced cool and dice
( leftover chicken works perfect for this, you can also cook 2 chicken breasts (your preferred method)
shrimp, cooked and rough chopped
( I prefer to use large or extra large)
2 (15 ounce) cans
artichoke hearts, drained and cut in quarters
( you can always used the quarters in cans, but I like to cut them myself, I feel I get more artichoke)
cremini mushrooms, sliced about 1 to 1 1/2 cups
( white or button mushrooms will be a good substitute, however, I like the richness of the cremini mus)
onion, cut in quarters and thin sliced
scallions, diced fine, white and green parts
( 1/2 to saute the mushrooms and scallions, 1/2 to grease the casserole dish)
2 cups , light or 2 cups
- Casserole -- Use 1/2 tablespoon to grease a 11x13" casserole dish or one similar in size or even a bit smaller. Add the cooked chicken, shrimp, and artichokes and set to the side.
- Mushrooms and Sauce -- In a large saute pan, add 1/2 tablespoon butter and bring to medium heat. Add the mushrooms, onion and scallions and cook 3-4 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Then in the same sauce pan, add in the butter for the sauce and melt on medium heat. Then stir in the flour mixing well to combine. Slowly add in the sherry, worcestershire sauce and the half and half or light cream whisking or stirring as you add the liquid until you get a smooth sauce. Check for seasoning, salt and pepper and bring to a light boil. Just medium to medium high heat. The sauce will naturally thicken. You want the consistency like gravy. If necessary, you can add a bit more cream if it is too thick, but it should be just about right.
- Casserole -- Top the casserole with the parmesan cheese and the paprika and bake in a 350 degree oven on the middle shelf for 30-45 minutes until bubbly and golden brown. Uncovered. Remove, cover with foil and let rest 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Bread -- I love to stretch the cost of the dinner out and serve this over grilled slices of baguettes. 1-2 slices per person and NO butter or olive oil required. Just brown under the boiler and top with the casserole. Makes a perfect dish.
- Serve -- A nice salad is perfect with this. ENJOY!