l2oz/3 cups blueberries
fresh lavender, sprigs
For the meringue
g/ 4oz/1/2 cup caster sugar
ml/ 1 tsp fresh lavender flowers
- Preheat the oven to 140°C/275°F/Gas 1.
- Line a baking sheet with 6 layer of newspaper, then top with a layer of parchment paper.
- Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until you have soft peaks.
- Add the sugar a little at a time, whisking thoroughly after each addition so the egg whites don't lose volume.
- When the meringue is thick and glossy, fold in the lavender flowers.
- Carefully spoon the meringue into a pastry bag fitted with a 5mm (1/4") round tip. If you don't have a pastry bag, cut a small corner off a ziploc baggie to use instead.
- Pipe as many little meringue buttons onto the baking sheet as you can. Bake at the bottom of the oven for 1.5-2 hours.
- When ready, segment the oranges by using a serrated knife to remove the peel from the all around the oranges.
- Loosen the segments by using a paring knife between the flesh and the membranes, holding the citrus over a bowl. Arrange the segments onto 4 plates.
- Combine the blueberries with the meringue buttons until evenly distributed and put in a pile in the center of the oranges. The final effect should look like a flower, with the orange slices fanning out to be the petals and the blueberries and meringues in the center.
- Garnish with a sprig of lavender.