1 1/2 lbs uncooked ground beef or 1 1/2 lbs
16 ounces tomato sauce, diced tomatoes or 2 1/2 cups
peeled diced tomatoes
uncooked white rice
fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 (16 ounce) jars grape leaves or 1 lb
fresh grape leaves
- Remove the grape leaves from the jar and soak for a few hours in cold water so they are not too salty.
- While the grape leaves are soaking, mix the ground beef, tomato sauce, rice, coriander, parsley, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. The mixing is best done with your hands.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to stuff the leaves.
- When the grape leaves have soaked for long enough, drain them and and dry with paper towels. Remove the stems and place shiny side down.
- Put approximately 1 tbsp of the meat mixture towards the bottom of the leaf. Fold in sides, and roll together firmly, but leaving a bit of room for the rice to expand. Continue until all leaves are stuffed.
- Place the bundles in the bottom of a dutch oven side-by-side in circular layers. Place two lemon slices between the layers of bundles.
- Put a weight, such as a ceramic plate, on top of the grape leaves to prevent them from moving.
- Fill the pot with enough water to cover the leaves.
- Simmer and cook on low for 30 minutes, or until rice is done.
- When the rice is done, remove the bundles from the pot and serve.