long-grain rice, cooked as per package directions
yellow onion, peeled, chopped and browned
( in a little olive oil)
salt and pepper, to taste
fresh lemon juice
( I personally like it with 1/4 t. Your choice!)
( I use 1/4 t. Again, it's up to you!)
( I scale down on this, too, to about 1/2 t.)
tomato sauce, canned
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the zucchini in half, lengthwise, and scoop out the seeds. (Keep the skin on.).
- Mix the cooked rice with the browned onion, salt, pepper, lemon juice, allspice, cinnamon and dill.
- Stuff the zucchini boats with the rice mixture.
- Pour the tomato sauce into a baking dish, then place the filled zucchini boats face up into the dish. Do not cover the zucchini with the sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees F. until tender but firm, about 50 minutes, but check sooner, like the 45 minute mark. You don't want the zucchini to get too limp. (If halving the recipe, lessen the cook time a bit.).
- Serve with a few spoonfuls of the tomato sauce drizzled on top.