3 1/2 cups
unsalted butter, at room temperature
light brown sugar, packed
candied citron peel, finely chopped
( about 1/2 cup)
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Toast ginger, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves in small skillet on medium heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes then remove from heat.
- Sift flour, toasted spices, baking soda, salt and pepper into medium bowl.
- In large bowl, cream butter and sugars until fluffy, 2 minutes using electric mixer on medium speed.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, blending well.
- Beat in molasses scraping bowl as needed.
- On low speed, beat in flour mixture until moistened and clumped.
- Stir in citron.
- Scoop rounded tablespoons of dough and dollop onto prepared sheets, spaced at least 3 inches apart. (For tidier cookies, briefly toss each dollop in lightly greased hands to form an uneven round and return to sheets.).
- Bake on racks just above and below centre of preheated 350F oven until tops look dry, about 10 minutes, switching pans on racks at halftime. Remove from oven.
- Sit pans on cooling racks for 2 minutes.
- Gently transfer cookies to racks to cool completely.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Arrange cookies on serving platter and dust with icing sugar (if desired).