soft brown sugar
orange, zest of one small
juice from the orange
toasted sliced almonds, for garnish
- Set oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease two 7 inch sandwich tins.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl; add the orange rind.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time and whisk until the mixture is pale and fluffy Sift in about half the flour and add the wiskey; fold into the mixture.
- Sift in the remaining flour and fold inches.
- Divide the mixture equally between the two tins and smooth the tops.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until light golden.
- Turn out on to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the icing:
- Put the butter into a mixing bowl; add the honey and one tablespoon of the orange juice.
- Sift in the icing sugar slowly and work the mixture gradually until the ingredients are combined.
- Sandwich the cakes together with half of the buttercream.
- Smooth the remainder over the top of the cake and decorate with the toasted almonds.