ground black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons
white distilled vinegar
- Cut round steak into serving size pieces; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet heat butter until hot, but not brown.
- Brown the meat on both sides; set aside.
- Add sliced onion to the skillet and brown lightly; remove from pan.
- Add water to the skillet; return the meat and the onion.
- Add vinegar, prepared mustard, bay leaf, and whole cloves.
- Cover and cook slowly 1 1/2 hours, or until tender, turning every 30 minutes.
- Place the steaks on a serving platter. Remove the bay leaf and cloves and place onions on the platter.