1 (453.59 g) can
( fine, dry)
( finely snipped)
fine dry breadcrumb
cooking oil, for deep fat frying
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion until sausage is brown, breaking sausage into small pieces; drain fat.
- Drain sauerkrat, pressing out as much liquid as possible.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sauerkraut, sausage mixture, the 2 tablespoons bread crumbs, cream cheese, parsley, mustard, garlic salt, and pepper.
- Cover and chill several hours or overnight.
- Put flour in a shallow container.
- In another shallow container, beat eggs and water until combined.
- Put bread crumbs in a third container.
- Using about 2 tablespoons for each, shape sauerkraut mixture into balls Roll balls in flour, then in egg mixture, then in bread crumbs.
- Fry a few at a time in deep hot fat (365 degrees) for about 2 minutes or until brown.
- Remove from fat with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Transfer to a baking sheet with sides; keep warm in a 275 degree oven Makes 24 to 30 balls.