fresh whole chickens
leeks, well washed and chopped to 3/4-inch lengths
washed long grain rice
3 -4 medium
sized carrots, peeled and grated
salt and crushed black pepper
- Put the chicken in a pot with enough water to more than cover.
- Add 6 leeks.
- Cover the pot and simmer gently for 1 hour or until the chicken is falling off the bone.
- Remove the chicken and reserve.
- Strain the stock into a fresh pot, add the rice and cook in a covered pot for 10 minutes.
- Add the grated carrots and the remainder of the chopped leeks and continue cooking for 20 minutes.
- Taste for intensity of flavour and, if necessary, reduce further to increase the taste.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Chop a little of the reserved chicken and add to the finished soup.
- Note: The reserved chicken is sometimes served as a separate course with mealie or boiled potatoes and a very strong sauce or perhaps yellow mustard.