green bell pepper, chopped
boneless pork, cut in 1-inch pieces
andouille sausage, sliced 1/4-inch thick
( 1 Link)
( 2-32 Ounce containers)
ground cayenne pepper
- Season cubed pork to taste.
- Heat olive oil in large heavy dutch oven over medium heat.
- When oil is hot add half of the cubed pork and brown well.
- Remove and brown the other half then set aside.
- Add sausage to brown lightly then set aside with pork.
- Add chopped onions, celery and bell pepper to dutch oven and saute until soft scraping browned bits off the bottom, about 30 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- In a large heavy stock pot heat 1/2 cup oil until hot.
- Add flour, stirring quickly.
- Stir roux over medium high heat until it turns a dark-reddish brown color (almost the color of milk chocolate - about 25 minutes).
- Add chicken broth/vegetable mixture to roux to stop the browning process (be careful as it will splatter).
- Add minced garlic, oregano, sage, worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and the remaining seasonings to taste.
- Stir until the broth is incorporated into the roux.
- Cover, lower heat and simmer gently for 45 minutes.
- Add reserved pork and sausage and return to a simmer.
- Simmer covered for 30 minutes or until pork is tender.