2 1/2 cups
eggs, room temperature
grated lemon zest
plus 3 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a large bundt pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and 2 cups of the sugar until light and fluffy. about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time.
- Stir in the lemon zest.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.
- In another bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the lemon juice, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the butter and sugar mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared bundt pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until cake tests done with a toothpick.
- Combine 1/2 cup of the sugar with 1/2 cup of the lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- When cake is done, let cool for 10 minutes and remove from the pan.
- Poke holes in the cake with a large fork, and pour the lemon syrup over the top. Let cool completely.
- For the glaze, combine the powered sugar and remaining lemon juice, about 3 1/2 tablespoons. Pour over the top of the cooled cake and allow to drizzle down the sides.