goat cheese, fresh and softened to room temperature
whole grain bread
shallots, finely chopped
mushroom, wild mix of shitakes and oysters
garlic clove, minced
chives, fresh with extra for garnish
- For the goat cheese croutons:
- Combine goat cheese and butter; lightly toast bread.
- Spread equal portions of goat cheese mixture onto toast; trim the crusts and cut bread slices into four equal portions.
- Set aside for the time being, but when you get to making the mushrooms, you'll want to broil the croutons until bubbly and lightly browned.
- For the Madeira Cream:.
- In a small saucepan, simmer the shallots in Madeira until the liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup.
- Add the cream, bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer 5-10 minutes, until the cream thickens; set aside.
- For the Wild Mushrooms:.
- Turn on the broiler and put your croutons in; remove when bubbly and lightly browned.
- Remove stems from the mushrooms, and tear the mushrooms into pieces.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- When the butter is bubbling but not browned, add the mushrooms and cook until they are golden brown and crispy, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and Madeira cream.
- Turn the heat to high and boil for 2 minutes, until mushrooms have absorbed most of the cream; season with salt and pepper, and stir in chives.
- To Serve:.
- Arrange croutons on serving platter, and spoon mushroom mixture onto each piece. Garnish with chives.