chicken pieces, washed and dried thoroughly
onions, peeled and quartered
garlic clove, crushed
( cut them into large pieces if you don't want whole carrots in the dish)
fresh ground pepper
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken pieces and brown on all sides.
- Remove chicken and drain on paper towels.
- Add onions, garlic and carrots to skillet, and let brown slightly.
- Push vegetables to one side and sprinkle in flour, stirring constantly.
- Gradually stir in sherry.
- Add bay leaf, parsley, thyme and mushrooms.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and return chicken to pan.
- Cover and simmer about 45 minutes, or until chicken is tender, adding more sherry if needed.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.