onion, diced into small pieces
raw garlic cloves, diced into small pieces
2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons
1 (32 ounce) cans
whole peeled plum tomatoes, strained and chopped
red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, destemmed, and chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
of nice thick bacon
- Roast those peppers!
- Saute onion and garlic in a tablespoon or two of oil until tender and caramelized.
- Add brown sugar to caramelized onions and garlic, and cook a couple of minutes until well integrated.
- Add tomatoes, roast bell peppers, paprika, bay leaf, and fresh thyme. Simmer about one hour.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Add balsamic vinegar at the end.
- Preheat oven to 350. Place bacon strips on a baking sheet in the oven until they are crispy all over. Drain on paper towels and dice into small pieces; fold into ketchup.
- Serve with hamburgers, French fries, grilled cheese, or anything else you wish had some bacon on it.