coarse grain mustard
2 1/4 teaspoons
packed dark brown sugar
fresh coarse ground black pepper
( to taste)
finely grated fresh lemon zest
1 (1 lb)
trimmed beef tenderloin roast, tied
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Stir together mustards, brown sugar, pepper, salt and lemon zest.
- Pat beef dry and season generously with salt. Heat oil in a heavy skillet over moderately high heat until just beginning to smoke, then brown beef on all sides.
- Transfer to an oiled shallow baking pan and coat with mustard mixture.
- Roast beef in middle of oven until a thermometer inserted 2 inches into thickest part of meat registers 125°F for medium-rare, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board and let stand until cool, at least 10 minutes.