2 lbs soup bones with meat or 2 lbs
oxtails, well washed
dried bay leaf
salt, to taste
fine egg noodles, uncooked
- Make sure you have washed the soup bones well and they have a nice amount of meat on them.
- Do not remove the skin from the onion, but wash it and pat dry.
- Cut a slit into one side of the onion and stick the bay leaf into the slit.
- Poke the whole cloves into the other side of the onion.
- Combine all ingredients except noodles in a huge stockpot.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer 2 hours.
- Set a huge bowl underneath a colander and strain soup through colander.
- Save the meat and the carrots and discard the other boiling veggies.
- Dice the carrots and cut any meat chunks into bite sized pieces, discarding any chunks of fat and the bones.
- Set aside.
- Return the broth to the stockpot along with the noodles and simmer until the noodles are tender and cooked through.
- Return the carrots and the meat to the pot and season with a nice amount of salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve hot.