bacon, chopped cut crosswise into narrow strips
bell pepper, chopped
garlic cloves, chopped
( or pressed)
Italian sausage, casings removed
1 1/2 lbs
lean ground meat
crushed red pepper flakes
( or more if you like it spicy)
dry red wine
1 (28 ounce) cans
petite diced tomatoes
1 (6 ounce) cans
mushroom, roughly chopped
( or sliced)
2 (32 ounce) cans
( I like Hunt's, any flavor)
- Heat pan, add bacon pieces and fry until crisp. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons oil.
- Add ground meat and sausage, salt, onions, and peppers and cook about 3 to 4 minutes until meat is beginning to lose its pink color.
- Add mushrooms, 1 tablespoon basil, orregano, red pepper flakes, marjoram, and continue cooking until vegetables are soft and meat is beginning to brown.
- Add tomato paste and cook until it begins to brown on bottom of skillet stirring constantly.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds or so until it is fragrant.
- Pour in wine and deglaze pan, stirring it to loosen all of the brown bits on the bottom of the pot. Let it cook until the wine is reduced by about half and the mixture is very thick.
- Add diced tomatoes and spaghetti sauce.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes (the longer the better).
- Add another tablespoon of basil.
- Mix the cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of water and stir to form a slurry, and stir into sauce, continue to cook for about 10 more minutes on low heat.
- Serve over spaghetti.
- ***I usually use Turkey Italian Sausage - it tastes great and is less greasy.
- ***For the spaghetti sauce, any brand or flavor will work - I usually use Hunt's roasted garlic.