( not pearl)
( large, or 5-6 small)
( or margarine, to saute)
dry white wine
onion soup mix
- Toast the barley. Put it in a dry pan on the stove, medium heat. As soon as some start to turn light brown (about 5 min.), stir constantly to keep them from burning! When all the barley is light brown, remove from heat.
- Chop the onions and garlic. Saute these, also the mushrooms. Set aside.
- Bring water and wine to a boil, stir in the onion soup mix.
- Stir in the sauteed mix and bring to a simmer again.
- Put in the barley. For best results, do not put in the barley too early.
- Cover and simmer 40-45 minutes -- WATCH OUT for burning on the bottom. Add a little more water if it is getting too dry. Barley will be a little chewy, but if you cook it until it's really soft that's when it gets sticky and glued into glop.
- QUANTITIES FOR 90 PEOPLE: 8 cups barley (3 1/2 boxes) , 8-10 onions, 6 lb mushrooms, 3 cups oil, 6 cups wine (2 bottles), 2 heads garlic, 9 quarts water, 1 1/4 cups onion soup mix, up to 1/2 cup salt.