8 -12 lbs
packer-trimmed beef brisket
lone star dry rub seasonings
( see recipe #97812)
- The day before serving pat the dry rub into every pore on the brisket and place in a large bag, or wrap tightly in plastic wrap, to marinate overnight.
- Early in the morning take brisket out of refrigerator and bring to room temperature while you start your fire and heat to 210ºF.
- Place brisket on opposite side from the firebox with the fat side up, so juices will help baste the meat.
- Maintain pit temperature between 180º and 220º and smoke 1 hour to 1 1/4 hours per pound.
- Every hour or so, if you have to use mop sauce you may do so.
- (The fat is going to keep the meat moist.) Remove brisket and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Cut the fatty top section away from the top section and the second section.
- Slice both brisket sections across the grain.
- Serve the barbeque sauce on the side, not on the meat.