vanilla bean, split lengthwise
saffron thread, firmly packed
lemon rind, grated
biscotti, to serve
- Place the first 4 ingredients in a large saucepan with 2 cups of water.
- Heat, stirring, over low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer.
- Add the pears and cook, covered for 12-15 minutes, turning them halfway through.
- Remove pears from liquid, and bring it back to boil, uncovered.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes or until the syrup has reduced by half.
- Remove the vanilla bean and drizzle syrup over the pears.
- Serve with biscotti.