boneless beef round steak, cut 3/4 inch thick
onion, sliced into rings
( one stalk)
( 1 medium)
dried thyme, crushed between fingers
- Trim fat from meat. Cut into 4 serving size pieces.
- Combine the flour, salt and pepper. With the notched side of a meat mallot, pound flour mixture into meat, both sides.
- In a large skillet brown meat on both sides in hot oil. Drain off fat.
- Add undrained tomatoes, onion, celery, carrot and thyme. Bring to boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 1 1/4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Skim off any fat.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
- Oven directions:
- Prepare and brown meat in skillet, as above. Transfer meat to a 2 qt baking dish.
- In the same skillet combine undrained tomatoes, onion, celery, carrot and thyme. Bring to a full boil, scraping up any browned bits.
- Pour over meat.
- Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven about 1 hour until tender. Serve over rice or noodles.